Day 39 of the 100 day project

Another day of just a little time for connecting with the garden.  I decided to use it for a bit of plant buying and fifteen minutes weeding in the cutting garden.


These are mainly plants for the side garden which is a traditional English (or in this case Welsh) cottage garden, appropriate as it sits alongside a seventeenth century Welsh farmhouse.  I bought three more foxgloves.  Out in the field I let the native foxgloves self seed and there are lots of them up by the shepherd's hut.  In the side garden I prefer the white or pale ones.  I also bought some violas and three more hollyhocks.  Violas really like a bit more moisture than our soil offers but I do have some viola labradorica which has settled in very happily.  These have larger flowers so are likely to be a little fussier but the soil here has been mulched this year so you never know.


And three more hollyhocks, one black and two pink.  Hollyhocks ought to be happy up here but of the three I bought last year I can only see one which has survived.  Mind you the winter was long and cold and we had heavy snow in early spring so that may have played its part.  I am determined to get them established, both because I love them and because they suit the wildish, abundant look of the garden.  If they are happy they should self seed too and I like self seeders.

Tomorrow seems to have every minute spoken for so I may not get them planted but even if I only manage the violas, that would be a pleasing thing.


Comments

  1. The rain is beginning here, so I haven't been as busy planting as you have been. Well done! I have tidied, instead. I've moved The Great Dane's tools to shelter, moved chairs to more appropriate place, picked up large pieces of sod, shaken them off and put them in the compost. Let it rain on my tidy-ish garden!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now tidying is just as vital as gardening! I have a great tendency to leave tools where I was working so my tidying need is to gather together things which are lurking where they shouldn't be!

      Delete
  2. My violas are beautiful this year and will be beautiful until the sun becomes too hot for them. I love when Mother Nature blows their seeds around and I am gifted with more and more the following year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love violas. I'm beginning to get self seeding in the ones in the field. There can't be too many!

      Delete
  3. Those pretty little faces of the viola are hard to resist!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know this is late, but I'm trying to catch up with all your days! I just bought hollyhocks and foxgloves for my garden yesterday, and today it's pouring down rain, so will have to wait to plant them. Still... all great gardening minds think alike, even on either side of The Pond! 8-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments are the best thing and the conversations they produce are the whole purpose of blogging for me. Do tell me what you think!

Popular posts from this blog

I love November

New house, new world, new garden

Making lined curtains